Luke 18:8 says: "I tell you; he will give justice to them speedily. Nevertheless, when the son of man comes will he find faith on earth?” Will He? Martin Bucer said: “Christ will do what our faith allows.”
Faith is our superpower on earth. Where do you go to get it? How do you express it? The biggest block to faith on earth is the earth. The earth is fallen, finite and fouled up. We lose our faith when we focus too much on it. Hebrews 11:1 tells us that faith is the substance of things unseen. Therefore, if we are to grow in faith, we can’t let ourselves be weighed down by what we see going on in the earth.
If you want to be found as a person of faith, you need to deliberately detach from the earth and attach to heaven. Detaching from earth does not mean that you are not aware of what is going on in the world, it does mean that you don’t just respond to what you see on earth. Faith is connecting to what is unseen. It is attaching to heaven more than earth.
The biggest obstacle to faith is our flesh. It is made of earth, and it naturally focuses on everything earthly. Even though we have the Holy Spirit living inside us as Christians, we feel more comfortable with the earth than we do heaven.
If we are living detached from earth and connected to heaven, we will live out the prayer that Jesus gave us to pray.
- We connect to God by acknowledging Him as Our Father in Heaven hallowed above all beings.
- We detach from the earth as we express our desire that God’s will be done on earth as it is in heaven.We acknowledge that the earth is flawed by not presently being the place where God’s will is done.
- We connect to God when we recognize that God is the provider of our earthly needs when we ask for His gift of daily bread.The earth is the provider of what we need because God’s good gifts are given through the earth.
- We connect to God when we acknowledge the power of forgiveness as a supernatural heavenly power source to enable us to be connected to God through salvation.
- We detach from earth by acknowledging the evil paths that trip us up and seek God’s help to bypass the danger they possess.
The prayer itself is the expression of faith that Jesus is looking to find. Faith is impossible if we do not put effort into detaching from earth and connecting to heaven.
The real question is can Jesus find faith in you?